Wait for it...

“Be still, and know that I am God.
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth!” (Psalm 46:10)

I've read this verse many times - even memorized it!  I use it to calm myself when life seems to be getting out of control. But something dawned on me the other day, about this verse, that I want to put out there for you to chew on a bit.

We are told a few different places to "be still" in the Lord's presence, and I always associated that with realizing the holiness of God and being in awe of Him.  Allowing the stillness to come over me in a way that entirely blocks everything else out.  The world fades in the distance as I approach the throne-room of God.  All of this is true, and should happen. But there is MORE!

The verses that speak on this don't end at "be still".  Let's take a look:

Zechariah 2:13 (NLT)
Be silent (or still), all flesh, before the Lord, for he has roused himself from his holy dwelling.

Exodus 14:13&14 (NIV)
Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. 14 The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”

1 Samuel 12:16 (ESV)
Now therefore stand still and see this great thing that the Lord will do before your eyes.

Psalm 37:7 (ESV)
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for himfret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!

In all these verses the Lord is about to act on behalf of His kids.  He tells them to "be still" and watch what He is about to do.  How cool is that!  

When we accept Jesus' salvation we become God's kids, and He is a loving Father. Scripture tells us over and over that "His faithful love endures forever".  The same way we love and protect and act on our children's behalf (except in a way more glorious, perfect way) He acts on our behalf.  I love it!  We need to learn how to "be still", so He can be the Father He wants to be in our lives.  If we are always rushing to "take care of things ourselves", we aren't letting Him be who He is in our lives.  Make sense?  He is more that capable of coming to our defense, meeting our needs, making our case before our enemies and so on than we could ever hope to be.  So let's let him!  Let's (and yes, I'm talking to myself here too) step back, "be still", and watch what the Lord is about to do for us.

Prayer:
Lord, help me relinquish my need to defend myself, step back, "be still", and trust you to take care of all things concerning me, my life, my family and my circumstances. In Jesus name.

Popular posts from this blog

To Be or Not To Be...VULNERABLE

In this world you will have trouble...

Laying Down My Rights...