Warfare in the Spotlight

Disclaimer: I stumbled upon this post from another blog I had a while ago, like 3 years ago, and wanted to post it here.  Since this was written I've experienced many more battles.  It is vital that we become skilled warriors.

1 Peter 5:8
Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.
I got this in living color yesterday!  We most definitely have an enemy looking for a way to knock us out of the fight.  As a lead worshiper, I, along with the rest of the worship team, am on the front lines of the battle.  Yesterday morning (Sunday), I was being "punched" at every turn.  Never once was I able to gain a "firm stance".  Every time I turned around something else was going wrong.  This all started during worship rehearsal, and extended through our first service.  I had trouble singing, and things were tilted.  There was a kind-of stillness in the room like I've never experienced before - the calm before the storm? Perhaps. At the end of worship, first service, one of my team leaders approached me and said. "We need to pray for you before the next service starts".  That sent my mind in a bit of a whirl.
I immediately started processing everything that had happened to that point, and sat down with the realization that I had been in battle for the last hour and a half.  That is NOT a fun place to be, generally speaking.  It is even less fun standing under the spotlights in front of a congregation.
FACT: We have an enemy - Satan.  He wants to make us ineffective for Jesus.  He will stop at nothing.  His ultimate goal - to devour us.  We have to be vigilant.  We can not ignore this.  To do so means our destruction. 
When God sent the children of Israel into battle the "worship team" went first, in 2 Chronicles 20: 21.  Meaning, me and my entire team are on the front lines.  We are leading the congregation into the throne-room of God.  That is a place our enemy definitely doesn't want us to be.  With this in mind, to my way of thinking, the first line of defense is praise.  
As I was processing all I had experienced I had to make a choice within myself.  Was I going to stressed over the fight, or was I going to praise?  God lives within the praises of His kids.  My choice: I was going to praise, and let God fight the battle raging around me. All the times the Lord sent His kids into battle, He was actually the One doing the fighting.  He went before them, and conquered the enemy.  I left the battle to Him, and praised!   
What an experience!  During one of our songs, second service, I stopped singing, and the congregation was singing clear and strong - declaring the promises they have in Christ.  I wanted to dance a jig.  It was so awe-inspiring.  God was moving in our midst.  It was beautiful.  I knew the Lord was fighting for me.  The change in atmosphere, from one service to the next, was almost tangible.  We were surrounded by the presence of the Most Holy God, and you won't find a better place to be!
Ephesians 6: 10-12
10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. 
While I don't believe there is a demon behind every tree, I know I am in a fight, spiritually, everyday.  It is fool-hearty to think otherwise.  Sometimes the fight is subtle, and sometimes it is a full on attack.  Either way, we have to be ready.   
There are two keys in being ready:
1) Put on His armor (Ephesians 6:13-18).  You'll be completely exposed without it.
13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. 14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. 15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.  16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.  17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere. 
2) Praise Him, and let Him fight for you!
Exodus 14:14 The Lord will fight for you, you need only be still.
This wasn't my first fight, and I know it won't be my last.  As long as I am walking with God I can expect my enemy to fight me.  AND I can expect my God to fight for me.
 

Popular posts from this blog

To Be or Not To Be...VULNERABLE

In this world you will have trouble...

Laying Down My Rights...