Well the elections are over but the consequences are far reaching...

I could very well be about to step up on a soap-box here, so fair warning.  I don't do this very often, but in light of events from last night and this morning I feel I must.  As I write this I'm praying for wisdom to say what needs to be said without over-stepping.


Before the election (by the way - I almost never get into political discussion because they cause hurt and dissension, and I have no desire to be a part of that) I was compelled to write this post on my Facebook page: 


"Looking through Facebook this morning and reading headlines has broken my heart. We have an election coming up that is fracturing our country before it even happens. As I think about it all I am struck by the fact that we have "made the bed we now lay in". We have used our God-given free will to turn our backs on our Creator, Savior, Friend. So this morning my prayer is a prayer of repentance and one for mercy. We, as believers need to look at our own hearts before we start pointing out everyone else's flaws. If we don't start with ourselves, how can we ever expect the world to turn to Jesus? Jesus said, they (the world) would know us by our love, but I'm not seeing love. So, I share one verse and a song with you this morning...ones that are playing over and over in my heart and mind...
2 Chronicles 7:14 (emphasis mine)
If MY PEOPLE (believers, children of God) who are called by MY name will HUMBLE themselves and PRAY and SEEK MY FACE and TURN FROM THEIR WICKED WAYS (again, He is addressing believers), I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.
It starts with the Church! Are we being holy and He is holy, or have we confirmed to the patterns of the world. We are to be His love and light - AWAYS - in every situation. "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."



This election got really ugly.  People (regular folks - I'm not talking about the candidates here) got really mean, and spouted hateful things to others.  Many of these people are my brothers and sisters in Christ.  We were so hopped up on getting our candidate into office - by any means necessary (I've seen some pretty horrible things come through my Facebook newsfeed) - we forgot along the way that there is something that means way more; something that is far more reaching than the here and now; something that has eternal ramifications...our witness for Christ.  We forgot, that as believers, we have been called to reach EVERYONE even if we differ in opinion from them.  How many witnesses have been lost because of this election?


And to add a cherry on top...
My stomach turned as a scrolled through my newsfeed this morning.  Post-election.  The candidate many were pulling for won, and the gloating was nearly too much to take.  It was almost as if it were being said that "Trump won the day, and will now save us" - as if he had the power to do that.   This prompted me to post this picture on my timeline this morning:




Because I remember this verse:


Jeremiah 17:5-10
This is what the Lord says:
“Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans,
    who rely on human strength
    and turn their hearts away from the Lord.
They are like stunted shrubs in the desert,
    with no hope for the future.
They will live in the barren wilderness,
    in an uninhabited salty land.
“But blessed are those who trust in the Lord
    and have made the Lord their hope and confidence.
They are like trees planted along a riverbank,
    with roots that reach deep into the water.
Such trees are not bothered by the heat
    or worried by long months of drought.
Their leaves stay green,
    and they never stop producing fruit.
 “The human heart is the most deceitful of all things,
    and desperately wicked.
    Who really knows how bad it is?
But I, the Lord, search all hearts
    and examine secret motives.
I give all people their due rewards,
    according to what their actions deserve.”




I can only guess the Lord's perspective on this whole thing.  First we have the American church that has been content to stay in their sin, and not repent, but instead curse those who have a differing opinion that we do.  Then we seemingly are putting our faith in a man that GOD place in the presidency - instead of God Himself.  Just typing that out makes me sick to my stomach.  This is a VERY bad place to be.  Let in not be so, Lord.


The verse from Chronicles (above) is one that I've seen thrown around quite a bit this election season.  We like to use it to make folks line up with our way of thinking (but why would the world think like us?  they don't believe in the Bible as we say we do), but it's not written to the general population.  It is written to God followers.  It has to start with us.


I realize we are not all like this, but based on what I've seen - just today - there are enough to compel my heart to write.  We need to be on our face before the Lord praying for His mercy, forgiveness and healing, and it has to start with me.  It has to start with you, dear one, reading this.  We can't assume we are good.  We need to asking that the Lord turn our faces toward Himself and His holiness;  that he search and know us; that He reveal anything to us that should not be there.  We must repent, dear ones, for the Kingdom of Heaven is, indeed, near. 


Lord God...Most Holy, Sovereign God.  Forgive us.  Search us and know us and see if there is any wicked way in us.  Cleanse us from all unrighteousness, and make us holy as You are holy.  Help us to be Your love extended to everyone, and help us to be a light and witness for you - always.
In Jesus Name - Amen

Popular posts from this blog

To Be or Not To Be...VULNERABLE

In this world you will have trouble...

Laying Down My Rights...